Monday, September 5, 2011

Exciting Times and New Discoveries

It did not help my case at all that Paul practically knew everyone in my church and they ALL thought that he hung the moon AND the stars.  No one had a disparaging thing to say of his character and they all unanimously agreed that HE WAS THE ONE!  My family loved him and answered me with "so what" when I complained about his youth, children, lack of wealth and riches, so on and so forth.  I was down for the count and Paul was clearly the champion in the corner of the ring.  Oh boy did I have my work cut out for me rejecting this guy.

We went to Olive Garden following the service that evening and we found ourselves comparing playlists on our ipod's and singing loud and off key to Garth Brooks.  He was fun!  We had dinner and my mouth ran ninety miles an hour as it is wont to do when I am nervous.  He politely shook his head and asked all of the right questions.  He returned me to my vehicle in the Starbuck's parking lot and we sat in the car and talked a while longer and listened to more music.  I discovered that we had a lot in common, that we liked the same foods, music, recreational activities and that he was without a doubt, one of the nicest guys on the planet.  And he had a really nice smile.

I thanked him for dinner and we said our goodbyes.  I believe I shook his hand (insert eye roll here).  we got into our perspective vehicles and pulled out of the parking lot.  I had not gotten very far when my cell phone rang, it was Paul.  "Hello" I answered.  "Hey, this is Paul."  He said.  "I just wanted to tell you that I had a really good time."  And then he said something about there being a "next time" and I said "sure, that sounds great."  And then HE said, "So does that mean you want to see me again?"  and I said, "Of course, I would love to see you again."  and then HE said, "Okay, I will text you this week and we will get together."  And I said, "Sounds great!"  I pray you are not as confused reading this as I am having typed it, but anyway, you get the picture.......I hope.

Sure enough, first thing the next morning I began getting the texts.  We texted all day long for several days when Paul made an evasive little hinting sort of statement about not being able to "hear my voice."  So, like any polite young lady would do, I suggested that we ditch the texting and talk on the phone instead.  He readily agreed.  So, began our telephone relationship.  We talked every chance we had over the next week until we were able to be together again over the weekend.  He came to Modesto again and stayed with some friends in the area.  We strolled the mall, ate at In-n-Out and just focused on becoming better acquainted.  I recall that while at In-n-Out the subject of marriage and family came up and I was once again charmed by his view of life and relationships.  I was so impressed with him and his character.

We talked or texted constantly and I found myself waiting impatiently for his calls, and, as much as I hated to admit it, I missed him when he was not around and looked forward in anticipation to his visits.  My sister kept bugging me about whether or not I thought he was "the one."  Of course I would always remind her of the many reasons why I should not get too involved with Paul, but "the reasons" became less and less of an issue as time passed.  Finally, I told her, "I will know when he kisses me!"  For some reason, I felt like that would be the test.  As fate would have it, I didn't have long to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment